Baylon’s goal paves way for FEU’s momentum vs UST

FEU Advocate
March 17, 2024 14:14

Far Eastern University (FEU) Booter Mel Anthony Baylon established a momentum-builder goal to claim victory in the match against the University of Santo Tomas (UST) Golden Booters, 3-1, in the first round of the University Athletic Association of the Philippines (UAAP) Season 86 men’s football tourney held earlier today, March 17, at the UP Diliman Football pitch. 

The Tamaraws were faced with a difficult match-up against the Tigers following an immediate attempt at an offensive approach to the game.

An opportunity for two clear goals from the green-and-gold squad arised early on in the game but they failed to maximize as they started to commit small but crucial errors. Such as Selwyn Mamon having an open shot, but instead choosing to fake and go through the defender.

UST also had the opportunity to potentially score two points shortly after, but FEU successfully denied the Tigers’ chance of a goal.

In a post-game interview, Head Coach Alberto Besa expressed his opinion on the countless injuries between the two teams that took place during the first half.

“There were quite a few. The referee could have controlled the game a little more, when he sees that it can get physical, he should level up with the calls… But that’s what the game demands, and I think the referees can be more strict to avoid injuries,” he said.

Despite the current disadvantage of the Growling Tigers, the Booters failed to capitalize leading to more errors.

After their sloppy display of offense in the first half, the Tamaraws turned to a more defensive approach.

However, this was not enough as Golden Booter Jacob Garciano scored the team’s first goal as he broke free from the defense at the 56th minute.

Coach Besa then shared his thoughts on where the team struggled the most and how this affected their game.

“In the first half which was our challenge, the final third; we were building up well and we were possessing in the middle, but the final pass and the final touch to convert the attempt. That was lacking,” he mentioned.

FEU displayed their grit and willingness to score as Baylon was swift to thread an opening at the 74th minute, tying the match at 1-1 after both an offensive and a defensive struggle. 

Mc Jay Neniel was pulled out of the game shortly after, highlighting the ultimate presence of injuries throughout the game.

The Tamaraws did not let this affect their ultimate plan of winning, as they had finally built the momentum they were trying to obtain at the first half.

They were quick to create as many valuable plays as possible in the remaining minutes of the game with Martini Rey scoring a goal at the 85th minute. 

Pressure evidently started to build on UST, as their chances to execute and connect their shots only became slimmer by the second.

The battle of Morayta and España had the crowd at the edge of their seat after a rather suspenseful first and partial second half.

Andre Yu ultimately handed the golden squad the 3-1 loss, with a powerful strike at the third minute extension of the final half. 

FEU wrapped up the first round of the men’s football tournament by securing the victory and keeping the win streak alive, putting them at a 5-0-1 win-loss-record. 

-Kyle Beltran

(Photo by Alyssa Andrea Quiogue/FEU Advocate)